PLEASE NOTE: This prayer resource is a work in progress. We will continue to add to it and update it for our 24 hours of prayer endeavor and for other use and edification. // (updated 6/8/2021)
( Featured Contents …
– FROM PASTOR BARRY – THE CALL TO 24/7 PRAYER
– Recently Edited Prayer Topics (6/8/21)
– PERSONAL PREPARATION – SCRIPTURAL FOUNDATION
– LET’S GET STARTED… THE “ACTS” PRAYER METHOD
– PRAYER POINTS – 2021 PRAYER POINTS – GLOBAL PRAYER NEEDS
– TIPS FOR EFFECTIVE PRAYER TIMES )
FROM PASTOR BARRY:
I want to thank each of you who have committed to pray on this, our day of 24 hours of prayer. I am encouraged that so many quickly and enthusiastically heeded this call to pray. This prayer resource booklet is meant to be just that, a resource. It is a work in progress. It will hopefully evolve into something that will help to make this time more meaningful and productive but some of you may not find it necessary and that’s OK.
I also want to take this opportunity to encourage you when you finish your time of prayer to sign up for next month’s prayer day. If you like your time slot you may want to secure it as each new month is added. While we encourage each person to pray for one hour it is possible to sign up for a 30 minute time slot if you would find that preferable. Please include your contact info as a reminder will automatically go out a few days before.
And finally, it is my hope and prayer that you will experience the joy and fulfillment in praying that inspired the hymn, “Sweet Hour of Prayer”:
Sweet hour of prayer, sweet hour of prayer, That calls me from a world of care,
And bids me at my Father’s throne, Make all my wants and wishes known;
In season of distress and grief, My soul has often found relief,
And oft escaped the tempter’s snare, By thy return, sweet hour of prayer.
Sweet hour of prayer, sweet hour of prayer, Thy wings shall my petitions bear,
To Him whose truth and faithfulness, Engage the waiting soul to bless;
And since He bids me seek His face, Believe His word and trust His grace,
I’ll cast on Him my every care, And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer.
THE CALL TO 24/7 PRAYER:
You are reading this now because there is an movement underway in Honolulu to get churches in Hawaii to pray for revival in our islands. The immediate goal is to get 31 churches to take a specific day of the month to mobilize the people in their congregation to pray for 24 hours. The result will be someone in Honolulu praying 24-7! First Baptist Church of Honolulu is among the first 8 or 9 churches to become part of this movement. We believe great things are going to happen as God’s church commits to seeking His face in prayer.
Recently Edited Prayer Topics 06/08/21
- Remember the “Lord’s Prayer”, review it and use it as an outline and model for prayer. It is in Matthew 6:9-18 and Luke 11:1-4 of the new testament.
- Pray for the total well being and future of our leaders, the churches, our people, our country, our state, and our world.
- Pray regarding needs associated with the still ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, including needs of wholistic health, work, businesses, churches, and other organizations and those involved.
- Pray for God’s will to influence and prevail politically and otherwise.
- Pray for church, business, educational and other leaders. Pray that those that would be best to rise to the top and be supported. And others would become less prominent and less supported or not supported in accord with God’s best for all.
- Pray for repentance and repeated revival of the right kinds in our nation, world and all the churches. Thank God for what he has already done to help bring this about.
- Pray for salvation and the fullness of salvation among church congregations, family, friends, neighbors, the needy and others.
- Cover your leaders and fellow believers with blessings, protection and God’s divine help and guidance. Call them out specifically by name or by category.
- Pray for 5 minutes for family, 5 minutes for your nation; as God leads.
- Come ‘Watch and Pray’ — block out a set number of minutes (eg. 5, 6 or 30 with stopwatch or timer) to go down the headlines and pray over selected ones on Google News or other News sources (including possibly Top News, National and/or World News)… possibly pursuing and praying over (even briefly) details for some headlines and from sources you trust or that seem best, hopefully taking God’s lead.
and pray for truth, righteousness and what is best in God’s wisdom and will to prevail.
Often the words prayer and fasting go together. Fasting is the abstinence from food (and/or other things) as an outward demonstration of an inward heart of contrition and repentance toward God. It is also a spiritual act of humbling and emptying ourselves before God in submission to His Lordship. Fasting is denying self for the purpose of focusing on spiritual things. Fasting and prayer are very powerful spiritual ministries that get God’s attention.
There are different things to fast from… Food – abstinence from food. Time – set aside time to pray and wait on God. Pleasures – denying ourselves of things or activities we enjoy (hobbies, TV, internet, entertainment, recreation, social media, etc.) The purpose is to devote that time and energy to God. Fasting should be accompanied with prayer.
Fasting Options: Total Fast– Abstaining from solid foods for all meals. Consuming only water. If you have health issues, consult your doctor before doing this kind of fast. Partial Fast– Abstaining from certain meals or consuming smaller portions of food for a certain number of hours. This can also be abstaining from specific (favorite) types of food, beverages and/or certain activities (TV, golf, shopping, video games, internet, social media, etc.) for a set amount of time.
“But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.” Hebrews 11:6. Ask God to infuse great faith in us. Seek God diligently with a contrite heart and great faith to trust Him for great things.
“Consecrate a fast, call a sacred assembly; gather the elders and all the inhabitants of the land into the house of the LORD your God and cry out to the LORD.” Joel 1:14.Pray that we will humbly commit ourselves to God for a time of consecration, prayer and fasting for the purpose of seeking His face and humbling ourselves before God.
LET’S GET STARTED…
We are suggesting you pray using the “acts” prayer method: A– Adoration (Praise). C – Confession. T – Thanksgiving. S– Supplication (asking God to supply our needs). The remainder of this Prayer Resource will structure your prayer time into these four categories…
Begin your prayer time with a brief time of worship. The Bible says, God inhabits the praises of His people. (Psalm 22:3) Praise God for His faithfulness, love, grace, mercy and forgiveness etc. Praise Him for His attributes, ie. that He is all-powerful, all-knowing, present everywhere (omnipresence), un-changing (the same yesterday, today and forever).
“Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.” (Psalm 51:10-11)
Prayerfully allow the Holy Spirit to do a deep searching of your heart and to bring every sin to light. Let nothing be hidden. Repent and ask God to forgive and create in you a clean heart and to renew a right spirit within you. Ask God to open the eyes of your understanding and to remove all unbelief, hardness of heart, pride and any resistance to His Holy Spirit.
“…you shall be holy to Me, for I the lord am holy, and have separated you from the peoples, that you should be mine. Leviticus 20:26 “…as obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; because it is written, “you shall be holy, for I am holy.” . . . conduct yourselves in fear during the time of your stay on earth; knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life … but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ. 1 Peter 1:14-20 (NASB)
Begin now to thank God for answers to prayers in the past. Count your many blessings, name them one by one, giving thanks for each one.
SUPPLICATION (ASKING GOD TO SUPPLY OUR NEEDS):
PERSONAL NEEDS: Pray for any health, relational, and/or financial needs you may have. Ask God for wisdom, discernment and understanding.
FAMILY: “But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” Joshua 24:15b. Pray for each member of your family (Col 3:20-21). Pray for your marriage (1 Pet 3:1-7; Col 3:18-19). Pray that there will be unity and oneness. Ask God for healing and reconciliation in all family relationships. Are you spending time as a family having daily devotions, spending time in God’s Word and praying together? If not, pray that God would help you make and honor that commitment.
SPIRITUAL HOUSE-CLEANSING: “For in the eighth year of his (Josiah’s) reign, while he was still young, he began to seek the God of his father David; and in the twelfth year he began to purge Judah and Jerusalem of … the wooden images, the carved images, and the molded images…because your heart was tender, and you humbled yourself before GOD…I also have heard you,” says the LORD (2 Chronicles 34:3-27). If there is any item in your possession that is spiritually defiling and is not pleasing to God, get rid of it! These things defile us and our homes. They also become a gate-way for the enemy to infiltrate our homes and our lives
OUR COLLECTIVE CHRISTIAN WITNESS AS BELIEVERS: Lord, please help us to urgency to share Christ as we are living in these last days. Help us to be effective in sharing your compassion and love with those who don’t know Christ. May our lives be pure and holy that we set good examples and be winsome in our interactions with people. May we not be hearers of the word only, but doers of the word.
UNBELIEVERS: May unchurched people in Honolulu be drawn to seek God through church websites, books, Christian Radio, TV, and specific churches that God may be leading them to. Pray for an outpouring of God’s Spirit to create a spiritual hunger. And that the blinders that Satan has on them will be removed.
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH
1. For Recent Prayer Needs, please see the “Please Pray For…” page of the Prayer Cloud (for congregation requests and online prayer requests submitted.)
2. Worship Services & Bible Study Groups
For people to be open to hearing God’s Word For the Holy Spirit to move in people’s lives. That people would connect and feel a part of the church family.
That Pastor Barry, Crystal, and other leaders will powerfully preach and teach God’s Word, and that God will sustain them and give them good health and energy. And that the congregation and students will have hearts and minds that are open and receptive to what God has for them.
That people would connect and feel a part of our church family, and that there would be great fellowship.
3. Pastor Barry
- Pray for Pastor Barry as he prepares & preaches sermons.
- Pray for his health, stamina, family, marriage, personal devotion, purity and integrity.
- That he be protected from Satan’s attacks.
ALL HONOLULU CHURCHES
- Pray for unity among believers and Churches (John 17). Pray specifically for the churches and their pastors, nearest to FBCH, and that meet at FBCH, that their ministries will be Scripturally grounded, effective and will grow and expand.
- Door of Faith
- New Life Baptist Church
- Bethel Korean Baptist Church
- Trinity Missionary Church
- CrossCurrent Fellowship
- Wonip Micronesian Church
- Impact Fellowship
- True Jesus Church
- Journey of Faith Indonesian Congregation
- Pray that each church would recognize Christ’s authority and be committed to following God’s Word and Will and make prayer a priority. Pray that all our churches would have a commitment to pray for revival and that others would join this “Call to 24/7 Prayer” movement. Pray that the Lord would enable more churches to work together to present a unified witness and mission.
- On the basis of 1 Chronicles 12:23-32 “…who had understanding of the times to know what Israel ought to do…” May our pastors and spiritual leaders have understanding of the times and that we would know what to do. Ask God to grant that our spiritual leaders and all believers would understand spiritual warfare and be effective in taking down demonic strongholds.
PLEASE NOTE: The following segments have not yet been fully developed but will hopefully more will be ready next month. You can ask God to lead you by the Holy Spirit in prayer for and perhaps portion a certain number of minutes for each (e.g. about 2 or 3 or 5 minutes each) for any you select below.
QUEEN KA’AHUMANU SCHOOL
- Pray for good and godly teachers and other leadership for this and other schools.
- Pray for them, and the parents and students, and their various needs.
- Pray they would thrive in the right ways academically, morality-wise, administration-wise, and otherwise.
- Pray the laws, guidelines, and regulations of the governments and Department of Education and the playing out of their actual use or disuse and/or change would be in line with God’s best for all involved — and continue to be.
- Pray for prayer and God’s words to be a vital part of things in and around schools, families, students, parents/guardians, teachers, and leaders and all staff involved.
- Church Attendance, that people would be led to the churches and ministries God would lead them to, and be influenced to attend, be well planted, and be involved and transformed to be all God would have them be, doing all God would have them to do.
- Pray we would please God and not displease him. Knowingly and unknowingly.
- Pray for individual and corporate repentance to God’s best for each involved.
- Pray for the success and management of the Rail Project.
- Pray re: the budget and finances connected with that and other endeavors of the state and local governments.
- Pray for Current and coming legislation and State Senators and Representatives.
- Pray for Office of Hawaiian Affairs and the indigenous Hawaiian people.
- Pray for those who are living here in these islands as their home or home away from home.
- Pray for the homeless and needy, here and beyond. Pray their spiritual, practical, and other needs would be met more adequately and more than adequately. Pray God’s people would be led to help as is best.
- Pray for sustained godly revival and a lifestyle of repentance for leadership in and out of the churches & government, and for churches, groups of churches, individuals.
- Pray as God leads for any upcoming elections. National and for all state and local governments. For the right people and ballot measures, etc. to be on the ballot and good guidance for voters leading them to take right actions and to make good and godly decisions and for good outcomes.
- Pray for government, church, non-profit, and business leaders in this nation.
- Pray for the lost in this state, this nation and beyond. For salvation and fullness of salvation for each and for those among and around us, including our family, friends, and neighbors, and those otherwise within our reach.
- Pray re: Terrorism, violence and other crimes.
- Re: rouge nations and any idealistic, spiritual and religious issues involved.
- Pray that people would come into God’s kingdom and be a vital part of it and come out of the kingdoms of darkness.. Pray people would know the truth and have authentic and full faith and be set free from sin and deception and set free to do what is truly good and God’s will.
- Pray for God’s kingdom and will to prevail.
- Pray for the reached and un-reached.
2021 prayer points…
Please pray as God leads for the needs you know of and possibly including:
- Re: the Coronavirus (see Global Prayer Needs below) including people’s health an lives, finances, work, housing, food and total well being
- For personal and corporate revival in the body of Christ including God’s revelation, direction, repentance, God’s power, and the fruit and gifts of the Holy Spirit to be fully manifest… And for those that can, that they would be added to the church and plugged in where God wants them to operate – Seek God for his vision and will for you 2021 and beyond
- Pray over the past and coming prayer events, including Seek God for the City and the National Day of Prayer – for participants, churches and leaders involved – and for all outcomes; Including use of Pray for the City and other guides as current and future resources
- First Baptist Honolulu and other churches in these islands, the nation, and across the world
- Political influencers, cash flow, races/candidates/leaders, and governmental actions — that what is right, not what is wrong would rise to the top and be done there
- For good, godly and not evil outcomes to prevail
- That our nation would not be divided ways it should not be
- Our leaders… including those in the body of Christ, in various governments, in companies, organizations and ministries, and in families… Pray for salvation, protection, wisdom and guidance, and the ability to know, accept and lead well in what is best (according to God’s will)
- The public and private educational systems at various educational levels, and the people involved both in serving and being served… Pray that lives will be enriched, and goodness and godliness will thrive and corruption and evil will be removed
- Family and friends, the needy and the lost
- Guidance, and proper direction for the year and years to come, including for Yourself, and Other people of God, those who are or can become influential in all walks of life
- Ensuring we do what it takes to do our part in what we should of the above
Global Prayer Requests
… Cry out for what makes God cry
-> Disease: Coronavirus and other viruses and other diseases
Europe, Asia, USA, Worldwide – for viruses to be contained, properly handled and not too harmful in outcomes
Economic/financial, practical, political aspects including personal and corporate responses, wisdom and guidance needed (for the CDC, government, medical providers and essential services, companies & non-profits, churches, ministries) — re: tradeoffs, timing and other factors.
-> Political turmoil-protesters, terrorists
Lebanon, Haiti, India, Myanmar, North Korea, much of Africa, United States
-> Refugees/ Migrants
-> Religious/ Ethnic persecution
-> Lack of clean water
-> Natural Disasters
- Storms, Cyclones, Floods Hurricanes
-> Lost sheep
Seek God’s purpose for you individually in it. Each person has individual giftings including their Circles of influence and concern, what they have prayed for in the past successfully or have more faith or motivation for in general and at the moment. These influence your purpose in Christ. Ask God to lead yourself and others in the time and in how long to pray possibly. There are also season, conditions and relevance factors affecting current purpose.
Include things that would contribute to bringing God’s kingdom and will into the world, meet the needs of people inside and outside of the body of Christ and be pleasing to God.
Include your own life – seeking and ensuring the doing of God’s Will and being all God would have you be for his sake, and the sake of yourself, family, friends, the church, the lost, the needy and others… Locally and beyond – even worldwide.
Write things down and make sure to read and follow through on it somehow in the month to come. A dull pencil is better to help remember than just having a sharp mind. Be ready for God to show you things / speak to you, and have a heart to obey.
For other tips and points of prayer, see the “24-hours of prayer” prayer resource (above).
- Consider using the prayer points and other materials in this resource as fuel to enhance your daily and weekly prayer+ life and Christian living.
OTHER TIPS FOR MAKING THIS A FULFILLING AND EFFECTIVE EXPERIENCE
- Ask God to show you what to pray for and how to pray.
- Review what God has done for you and others and thank him for blessings and answered prayer. Including things seen and unseen, past and future.
- Pray for God’s kingdom/church and will – in Hawaii, the nation, the world.
- Tend your vineyard – pray for specific local and world needs starting with yourself, your family and friends, your church, believers in the universal church and spreading out to the unchurched and unsaved – those you know and others.
- Pray with faith and zeal. Especially pray for things you have the most faith for, feel called especially to pray for or that have the most impact/importance.
- Let God show you things you need to do including areas of repentance and change, things you need to be faithful to pray for, and areas effecting your life and the lives around you.
- Ask God to show you and Write down what God shows you about certain things and work selected things from that into your plans, daily and weekly prayers, and into your life as a whole.