“Jesus said, ‘Go then, to all people everywhere and make them my disciples, baptize them…” Matthew 28:19
Why Should I Be Baptized?
- To follow the example set by Jesus. “At that time Jesus came from Nazareth and was baptized by John in the river.” Mark 1:9
- Because Christ commands it. “Jesus said, ‘Go then, to all people everywhere and make them my disciples, baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and then teach them to obey everything I have commanded you.’” Matt. 28:19-20
- It demonstrates that I really am a believer. “…many of the people who heard Him believed and were baptized.” Acts 18:8
“Then those people who accepted what Peter said were baptized… ” Acts 2:41a
What Is The Meaning Of Baptism?
- It illustrates Christ’s death, burial and resurrection. “Christ died for our sins… He was buried…and He rose again.” 1 Cor. 15:3-4; “For when you are baptized, you were buried with Christ, and in baptism you were also raised with Christ. Col. 2:12
- It illustrates my new life as a Christian. “When someone becomes a Christian he becomes a brand new person inside. The old life has passed away and a new life has begun!” 2 Cor. 5:17; “By our baptism then, we were buried with Him and shared His death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead…so also we may live a new life!” Rom. 6:4
Baptism doesn’t make you a believer — it shows that you already believe. Baptism does not “save” you; only your faith in Christ does that. Baptism is like a wedding ring — it’s the outward symbol of the commitment you made in your heart.
“We know that we have come to know Him, if we obey His commands.” 1 John 2:3
How Should I Be Baptized?
- Jesus was baptized by immersion. “As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water.” Matthew 3:16
- Every baptism in the Bible was by immersion. “…then both Philip and the man went down into the water and Philip baptized him. When they came up out of the water…” Acts 8:38-39 Immersion is the literal meaning of the word “Baptize”. The Greek word baptizo means “to immerse or dip under water”. It best symbolizes a burial and resurrection!
“By our baptism then, we were buried with Him and shared His death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead…so also we may live a new life!” Romans 6:4
Who Should Be Baptized?
Every person who has believed in Christ. “Those who believed and accepted His message were baptized…” Acts 2:41; “Simon himself believed and was baptized…” Acts 8:13; “But when they believed Philip as he preached the Good News…and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.” Acts 8:12 THIS IS WHY WE CALL IT “BELIEVERS BAPTISM”
Some churches practice “infant baptism ” This custom began about 300 years after the Bible was completed. This is different from the baptism talked about in the Bible, which was only for those old enough to believe. The purpose of baptism Biblically is to publicly confess your personal commitment to Christ. At First Baptist Church of Honolulu, we wait until children are old enough to believe and understand the true meaning of baptism before we baptize them.
“Those who believed… were baptized…” Acts 2:41
When Should I Be Baptized?
Soon after you have believed. “Then Philip began with the scripture and told him the Good News about Jesus. As they traveled along the road, they came to some water, and the man said, ‘Look, here is water! Why shouldn’t I be baptized right now?’ Philip said, ‘If you believe with all your heart, you may.’ The man answered, ‘I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.’ So they went down into the water and Philip baptized him.” Acts 8:35-38
There is no reason to delay. As soon as you have decided to receive Christ into your life, you can and should be baptized.
CONTACT PASTOR BARRY IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE INCLUDED IN OUR NEXT BAPTISM. firstname.lastname@example.org or 521-4708 ext. 1
“Those who believed… were baptized…that day!” Acts 2:41