Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly. Colossians 3:16a
Benefits of Memorizing Scripture
- Memorizing Scripture helps me…resist temptation. Jesus resisted temptation by saying, “It is written..” and then quoting the applicable verse of Scripture. In order to say, “It is written,” we first have to know what is written. “I have hidden your word in my heart so that I might not sin against you.” Psalm 119:11 (NIV)
- Memorizing Scripture helps me make wise decisions. The more you know what God says, the more you will know how God thinks. “Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.” Psalm 119:105 (NLT)
- Memorizing Scripture strengthens me when I’m under stress. “Your promises to me…are my only hope. They give me strength in all my troubles; how they refresh and revive me!” Psalm 119:49 (LB)
- Memorizing Scripture comforts me when I’m sad. “Your words sustain me… They bring joy to my sorrowing heart and delight me.” Jeremiah 15:16 (LB)
- Memorizing Scripture helps me witness to unbelievers. “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do it with gentleness and respect.” I Peter 3:15 (NIV)
How to Memorize Scripture
- Pick a verse.
- Say the verse reference before and after the verse.
- Read the verse aloud many times.
- Break the verse into natural phrases.
- Emphasize key words in each phrase.
- Always memorize the verse word perfect.
20 Verses Every Believer Needs to Memorize
- For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. (John 3:16 NKJV)
- If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. (I John 1:9 NIV)
- For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:23 NKJV)
- For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9 NIV)
- I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20 NIV)
- This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun! (II Corinthians 5:17 NLT)
- Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. (Philippians 1:6 NIV)
- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:13 NKJV)
- Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age. (Matthew 28:19-20 NIV)
- Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind and, Love your neighbor as yourself. (Luke 10:27 NIV)
- I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. (John 14:6 NIV)
- I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in Me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from Me you can do nothing. (John 15:5 NIV)
- Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. (Matthew 11:28-29 NIV)
- You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You. (Isaiah 26:3 NKJV)
- Cast all your anxiety on him because He cares for you. (I Peter 5:7 NIV)
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. (Philippians 4:6 NIV)
- Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10 NKJV)
- But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. (Matthew 6:33 NKJV)
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV)
- Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path. (Psalm 119:105 NIV)